Just In: Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Mangu killing, Hunt Fleeing Attackers

0
FB IMG
Advertisement

The Plateau State Police Command has arrested a suspected mastermind of the deadly attack on Bin-Per community in Mangu Local Government Area of the state.

The attack, which occurred in the early hours of Tuesday in Kombun District, reportedly left 25 persons dead and four others injured.

The Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, of the Plateau State Command, SP Alfred Alabo, confirmed the arrest on Wednesday, saying the suspect in custody was believed to be the mastermind of the attack.

According to him, investigations into the incident are ongoing, while security operatives have launched a manhunt for other suspected attackers who fled the scene.

The victims were later given a mass burial, even as women from the community staged a peaceful protest against the killings, demanding urgent government action to protect residents from further attacks.

Residents said the heavily armed attackers moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking residents who were asleep.

The attack on Bin-Per has triggered widespread outrage, with residents, community leaders and other stakeholders demanding urgent measures to prevent further killings in vulnerable communities across Mangu.

The killings also prompted women from the community to stage a peaceful protest, during which they demanded stronger security and an end to recurring attacks.

In a related development, the command said CP Faniyan undertook an on-the-spot assessment visit to Bin’Per Community as part of measures to restore confidence and strengthen security in the area.

During the visit, the Commissioner commiserated with traditional council elders, the Chairman of Mangu Local Government and residents over the loss of lives.

He also conveyed the condolence message and best wishes of the Inspector General of Police, IGP Olatunji Rilwan Disu, to the people of Bin’Per, saying the police leadership had condemned the attack and was committed to preventing further incidents.

CP Faniyan assured residents that the command would use all within its constitutional powers to identify, arrest and prosecute those responsible for the killings.

He further disclosed that security had been strengthened in the area to prevent a recurrence and called on residents to support the police with accurate and timely information that could assist ongoing investigations.

The Commissioner urged residents to remain peaceful, law-abiding and vigilant, while strongly cautioning against jungle justice.

He said taking the law into their own hands could escalate tensions and undermine efforts to ensure that those responsible for the attack face justice.

Residents had earlier told reporters that the heavily armed attackers moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking residents who were asleep.

The victims were later given a mass burial, while women from the community staged a peaceful protest demanding urgent government action and stronger security measures to protect residents from further attacks.

The killings have sparked widespread outrage among residents, community leaders and other stakeholders, who are calling for decisive measures to end recurring attacks on vulnerable communities in Mangu.

The Plateau State Police Command reiterated its commitment to protecting lives and property and maintaining peace across the state, urging residents to remain calm and promptly report credible information to security agencies.

Meanwhile, the police have urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing credible information that could assist in apprehending the fleeing suspects and preventing further attacks.

FB IMG

Leave a Reply