Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has responded to questions surrounding his recent meeting with Julius Abure, the factional chairman of the Labour Party.
Speaking during his monthly media parley in Abuja on Monday, Wike described the meeting as a routine political engagement, urging the public not to read too much into it.
“You said Abure came to visit me. Of course, he is a politician, and I’m a politician. What is wrong when politicians meet each other?” Wike said.
When asked whether the meeting had any political connection to the 2027 general elections, the minister declined to reveal details but hinted that future plans would become clear in due time.
“Why would I tell you what I’m planning for 2027? You will know when the time comes,” he added.
Recall that Julius Abure had earlier addressed the meeting during the Labour Party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held in Abuja on July 22, 2025. He described the encounter as a personal and private affair that was misinterpreted by the public.
“Last week, I met with the FCT Minister, and it attracted a lot of comments and misconceptions,” Abure said. “I live in the FCT, and Nyesom Wike is the Minister. I have the right, as a Nigerian, to interact with any public officer. The meeting was privileged and purely private.”
The clarification comes amid ongoing speculation about political realignments ahead of the 2027 elections.

