FIFA COO Kevin Lamour Leaves Organisation Amid Internal Dispute

0
IMG
Advertisement

Football’s world governing body, FIFA, has confirmed the departure of its Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, bringing an abrupt end to the tenure of a senior executive who was once considered part of President Gianni Infantino’s inner circle.

A FIFA spokesperson confirmed on Monday that Lamour’s working relationship with the organisation ended on August 17, 2026.

“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s chief operating officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” the spokesperson said.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership team in November 2024 after previously working on Infantino’s successful campaign for the FIFA presidency in 2016.

His departure comes amid growing opposition within football’s governing body to Infantino’s proposed new commercial entity, which would include some of FIFA’s most valuable assets, including commercial rights linked to the World Cup and other major tournaments.

The proposed subsidiary was reportedly valued by FIFA at approximately $20 billion and would seek to sell up to a 20 per cent stake to private equity investors, potentially raising about $4.2 billion.

Lamour emerged as one of the most prominent internal critics of the proposal last month. He accused FIFA staff of being “deceived” over the project and described the initiative as the work of “one person.”

“Our mission … is to serve football, not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said.

His criticism followed the resignation of Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, who also opposed the proposal and described it as “a bad deal for football.”

Following the growing opposition, Infantino subsequently withdrew the proposal.

Lamour’s departure now adds another significant development to the controversy surrounding FIFA’s proposed commercial restructuring and its leadership under Infantino.

Leave a Reply