Borno Senator Urges Military to Rescue Schoolchildren, Travellers Held for Over 100 Days

0
Advertisement

A senator representing Borno State has called on the military to intensify efforts to rescue schoolchildren and travellers who have been held captive for more than 100 days.

The senator made the appeal during a visit to the military headquarters in Maiduguri on Wednesday, where he raised concerns over the prolonged captivity of residents abducted from different parts of the state.

He specifically appealed for urgent action to rescue students abducted from Mussa and Lassa communities, passengers kidnapped along the Buratai road, and the remaining victims abducted from Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area.

While commending the military for its ongoing efforts against insurgency in Borno, the senator stressed that the victims, particularly the children, had spent too long away from their families.

He said the prolonged captivity had caused significant distress among the victims’ relatives and communities, with many of those abducted now spending more than 100 days in captivity.

The senator clarified that his appeal was not intended to undermine the efforts of the military or other security agencies.

Rather, he said it was part of his responsibility as an elected representative to bring the concerns of his constituents to the attention of the authorities and advocate for urgent action.

He added that while he would continue to commend the military whenever it records successes, he would also raise issues affecting his constituents whenever necessary.

Responding to the senator, the military commander said the concerns regarding the abducted victims had been noted.

He assured the senator that the Nigerian Army and other security agencies remained committed to protecting communities, stabilising areas affected by insurgency and facilitating the safe return of people displaced by years of violence.

78 Students Reportedly Abducted

The senator’s appeal comes after two separate attacks on schools in Borno State.

In May, 42 students were reportedly abducted from a school in Mussa following an attack by suspected insurgents.

A month later, another attack on a school in Lassa reportedly resulted in the abduction of 36 students and a teacher.

The two incidents account for 78 reported abducted students, highlighting the continued security challenges facing communities in parts of Borno State.

The senator urged security agencies to intensify efforts to locate the victims and secure their safe return to their families.

Leave a Reply