Bandits Kill at Least 32 in Sokoto Community, Residents Claim

0
IMG
Advertisement

At least 32 people have been killed in an attack by suspected bandits on Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

Residents also claimed that 13 of the attackers were killed by members of the community during the prolonged assault, although the claim could not be independently verified.

Village leaders who witnessed the attack and participated in the burial of some of the victims on Sunday, August 16, said the attackers stormed the community at about 2:15 p.m. on Friday, while residents were observing Jumu’a prayers.

According to one resident, the attackers parked their motorcycles near a mosque before dispersing worshippers and moving into the community, where they reportedly killed five people.

The attackers later returned and allegedly killed two more residents before launching attacks from different directions and surrounding the town.

Residents reportedly fled their homes, with some escaping to a nearby hill. One resident said he witnessed several people being killed while hiding on the hill before managing to escape through a farm.

The attackers reportedly remained in the community until about 1 a.m. on Saturday before leaving. They allegedly returned the following morning and continued attacking residents until security personnel arrived and forced them to withdraw.

Residents returned to the community on Sunday to recover the bodies of those killed.

“Today, some people were conducting funeral prayers for the victims while others were going around looking for more bodies. Eventually, we recovered and buried 32 bodies,” a resident said.

The resident also claimed that he saw the bodies of 13 suspected bandits who were killed by community members during the attack, although he said the attackers later retrieved the bodies of their colleagues.

Several houses, shops and vehicles were also reportedly set ablaze. The attackers were said to have burnt seven houses, two shops and three vehicles, although rainfall prevented the fire from causing more extensive damage.

The violence reportedly spread to neighbouring communities, including Umbutu, Maikurhuna, Gwandi, Girkau and Zugu, where the attackers allegedly looted livestock and other valuables.

A resident claimed that a military aircraft later conducted an air operation against the attackers in Indiri, forcing them to flee from Zugu. The claim could not be independently verified.

The attacks have reportedly forced many residents to flee to larger towns, including Kebbe, Jega, Koko, Tambuwal, Aleiro, Agwada, Andarai and Jandutsi in Sokoto and neighbouring Kebbi State.

The General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Sokoto, also reportedly visited displaced residents in Kebbe on Sunday evening. According to a resident, the GOC arrived with more than 200 soldiers and several armed vehicles.

The resident described the visit as encouraging and appealed for increased security presence in remote communities, particularly during the rainy season.

Another resident familiar with the attacks said the latest violence followed the reported killing of four soldiers in Kebbe on Friday.

He said the attackers subsequently moved towards Ungushi, Maikurhuna, Umbutu, Gwandi and other communities.

Poor telecommunications coverage has reportedly made it difficult for residents and authorities to establish the full extent of the attacks.

A displaced resident of Gwandi said the bandits also invaded the community, stealing livestock and other valuables and forcing residents to spend two days hiding in the bush.

He said one person sustained a gunshot injury, while another resident who had previously been abducted was later released.

The resident appealed to the government to intensify security operations and create conditions that would allow displaced residents to safely return home.

When contacted, the Sokoto State Commissioner of Police, CP Hayatu Hassan Shaffa, said the police command was not aware of the full details of the reported casualties but confirmed that the military had visited the affected area.

“We don’t have these details, but I know the military had visited the place,” the commissioner said.

Leave a Reply