The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has called off its two-month-long strike.
Recall that the doctors, in August, embarked on strike following a disagreement with the Federal Government over the non-availability of medical equipment at public tertiary hospitals.
In a communique signed by the Nigerian Medical Association, Secretary-General Ekpe Philips Uche, after the meeting held among delegates of NMA and NARD on Sunday, October 3, in Abuja, the NMA advised NARD to stop the ongoing industrial action.
At the meeting, NMA mandated the National Officers Committee, NOC, to ensure the implementation of the memorandum of understanding signed with the federal government on August 21.
The association asked NOC to report back to the National Executive Council of NMA periodically on the progress being made on implementing the memorandum of understanding.
NMA also mandated the NOC to continue to interface with the chairmen of the state branches, including the FCT, on the progress being made.
According to Godiya Ishaya, NARD president, the association has officially called off the strike.
He said that the decision was taken after a meeting with the delegates of NMA and NARD.
He said: “We’ve officially suspended the strike to resume at 8:00 am on Wednesday. We made the decision in the wee hours of today (October 4). We held an emergency meeting from 5:30 pm on Sunday to the morning hours of today, and the NEC decided that having reviewed the progress made so far, the strike should be suspended.”